Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The past few days I've been a little down with no real job prospects so you can imagine how my mood quickly changed today when I set up TWO interviews. Don't get too excited though. I've become quite the pro at interviewing. When my first round of interviews were scheduled a few weeks ago, I was exstatic! I thought, surely out of 5 interviews I can find at least one company to work for. Yes and no. They all had huge "but...... factors." (Great opportunity but doesn't offer benefits....great opportunity but only pays commission....great salary but in the wrong city....you get the idea.)

Today I get a phone call from one of these "but......jobs." Great opportunity, great salary and benefits, my dream job........BUT.............its in montgomery. Dont get me wrong, Montgomery is a great place. I've been here since I was three, but this single girl needs some growing room. I need new faces, new places, new chances. I cant whole-heartedly start anew in the town I grew up in. Making a fresh start is almost impossible when you go to the grocery store and see at least 5 people you know (some including your friends' parents). I hesitated to even call the man back, but I thought to myself, how fair is it to rule this job out before I even hear about the position?

Here's my dilema. What is more important? A job that creates an amazing opportunity that gives me the experience I need to get to where I want to be in my career all the while sacrificing my needs outside of my career. OR a job that isn't my dream job but is in a new place where I am challenged and get to start over?? HMMM....I thought a lot about this while I was supposed to be studying for a midterm in Starbucks this afternoon. (Sidenote: dont attempt to finish school and job hunt if you are anxious about the future...these two DONT mix well!)

I started doubting myself and once again trying to take control of the situation and all of the sudden (well a few hours later).....FLASHING LIGHTS!!!! I received a phone call on the way home from Auburn from another company in TEXAS. YAYAYAYAY!!! Wait a second, lets get off cloud 9 and be realistic here. Is this another one of those bootleg management training programs I've been running into? NO SIR!!! Trust me, I've learned the right questions to ask before agreeing to an interview! This is a legit, well paying, great opportunity in a big city. FLASHING LIGHTS EVERYWHERE! (lets just hope they keep flashing after the interview!!!)

Now here comes the dilema....that is a LOOOOOOOOOONG way from home! I am such a family girl. I thought a 3 hour distance was good, never considered 10 hours or more!

Im picking up on something now, I am full of ".............but's." HMMM, I am never satisfied? Im going to just keep telling myself that its not an issue of satisfaction but an issue of choices. I read on someone's facebook a quote their dad once told them. I dont remember exactly how it was worded, but it basically was talking about how each decision at this point in life is hard. Because there is not always a definite correct answer. Each decision we make leads us down a different path in life. There are times when there is not a right or wrong choice....just an either or and Im facing this now... growing up is so much fun!

No comments: