Monday, April 7, 2008

FOREIGNERS

Today I took advantage of my freetime and treated myself to a short and sweet girl day...manicure and a trip to the tanning bed. I'm going to the beach this weekend and I refuse to blind people with my pale skin. And if you know me, you know I ALWAYS have a manicure. Im not a princess, its my one vice I've had for years.

Something funny/strange happened at the nail salon. I don't usually enjoy talking with the manicurist while he or she files away. I know it probably appears snobby, but I really cherish the time to sit there and be pampered for 20 minutes without making small talk. Well, Thiem was not having this today. I know he was trying to spark a conversation (probably because he does the same thing all day long), but he took it a little far. I sat down and immediately got the, "you aren't working today?" I didn't feel like spending 3 minutes explaining, no Im in school so I just said, "No not today." Then Thiem said, "Are you married?" "No." "Why you wear wedding ring?" "This is a pearl, not a diamond." .............. a few minutes later........."You have boyfriend?" "No, not right now." "Why not? You not like boys?" "Im sorry?!?" "How old you?" "23" "REEEEEALLY???? You look so young" "Oh ok" and then here comes the wierdest thing I've ever been asked. "That your real hair?" "Is this my real hair?!?!" "It brown, it real?"

Ok, I hope he was referring to hair color, not actual hair because thats a new one for me. Im counting on the hope that it was something lost in translation. I respect him for trying to speak English with me because I KNOW how hard it is to speak in another language to a native speaker because you know without a doubt you will say something wrong and believe me, this is intimidating to the point in my case where I freeze a lot of times and sound like a 2 year old talking. But Thiem, you took it too far this time.

Now I'm wondering if my hair is so bad that it looks fake. I've been wanting a change anyway so some suggestions are wanted.

No comments: