Sunday, January 4, 2009

So last night Ryan and I went to a friend's house to have a game night. Now I know that sounds terribly lame, but a game of apples to apples with a few drinks can actually be quite entertaining. Somehow we got on the subject of the word southern. I told them that I hated to disappoint them but Florida is NOT southern. Tallahassee is NOT southern! She started to argue with me and tell me that I dont know what southern is. Im sorry sweetie, I'm from Montgomery, AL. It doesn't get much more southern than that. And I went on to explain that anyone not from Florida will agree that just because it is southern in location does NOT mean it is in spirit and culture.

I need friends here, so I decided to let it go and just move on. Fast forward a few hours later to the kareoke bar we went to. Of course some rando picked Sweet Home Alabama. So, being the true Auburn fan that I am, I went up to him and asked him to insert, "war damn eagle" in the song. The d bag got in my face and said, "NO, Im a FSU fan. Auburn sucks and so does the SEC."

Alright, thats it. I ripped this tool a new one. I "kindly" explained to him that the SEC trumps ACC in football ANY day and everyone knows that. I went on to inform this guy that if you are going to sing Sweet Home Alabama, there are only two phrases you can insert into the song, "war damn eagle!!!" and the other nasty phrase (even though I depise bama, at least they are from the same place). You CANNOT insert "GO NOLES" into this special song. I'm sorry. I about ripped the do-rag off his head. We left shortly after that.

So, even though I've moved down to this totally unsouthern place and am dating the least southern boy I've ever known, I still know where I'm from!

No comments: