Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Please Dont Hate Me...

So please don't pass too much judgement on me.
This past weekend, I committed a little bit of adultery...I cheated...
on my beloved Tigers...
With this guy...

Instead of being the loyal fan I was raised to be,
I spent the day of the Iron Bowl at the Florida/FSU game.
And can I just say, I was not impressed...
AT ALL!!
Excuse me FSU AND UF, but where are your cheers?
Where is your mic man?
Why haven't I heard all your fight songs?
Where are your freaking shakers??
Why aren't you dressed in your Sunday best?
SERIOUSLY!?!?!?
THAT is what makes football.
And to make things worse, I went agaisnt ALL of my rules for football (well maybe not all of them)!!
I showed up in a FSU T-shirt, jeans and Merrells...
Im humiliated at myself.
A t-shirt???
I NEVER wore a t-shirt to an Auburn game...EVER!
In fact I ALWAYS had a dress on...ALWAYS!
Im ashamed to say that I sported the enemy's color (crimson...Ryan argues FSU is Garnet...but whatever its not orange and blue)
BUT...
I DID NOT do that stupid tomahawk chop they do!
And when the UF cheerleaders were yelling, "Orange and Blue"
I yelled with them.
Ryan looked over and said, "Not gonna do the chop?"
and I said...
"Just can't do it, Im a one team fan"
So AS SOON as we got home, I went and put on my obnoxious Auburn sweatshirt. I've worn it for the past few days.
Its funny what you will do for love.
I stood in the NASTY cold rain for HOURS.
I forfeited watching my tigers on the most holy football day of the year.
I wore the enemy's color.
And I did it all for him.
After the chop comment, I said...
"Next year, we're going to a REAL football game...with shakers and cheers and tailgaiting and ridiculous traffic. Without T-shirts and skanky girls walking around with barely any clothes on. With kids running around, boys in Auburn Jerseys and girls in Auburn Cheerleader outfits on. With the WHOLE town revolving around this ONE DAY! With bars packed full of fans and with everyone sneaking in bourbon to the games in their floppy flasks (seriously, the fsu fans dont even know what this is). With the flying of the eagle for the start of the game. With a big "WAAARRR EAGLE HEY!!!" at each kickoff. With a bunch of "Weegle Weegle War Damn Eagle..."s. With the fight song and a never ending entertainment session from the band."
"And regardless of whether we win or lose, we still say WAR EAGLE at the end of the day, and continue to yell, "Its great to be an auburn tiger!"
He thinks I'm crazy but I don't care.
I never really got that quote that I saw so many times about how you will never understand Auburn, its family and traditions until you experience it for yourself.
I grew up an Auburn fan.
I had one uncle who paid us to say those two dirty words, "R*** T***"
So I've been spoiled.
Until I went on someone else's turf, tryin to expand my fan horizons.
I realized that theres a reason I tell people Auburn is in my blood.
And to top off the day, I leaned over to my sweet FSU "fan"/ soon to be converted to be a real fan of Auburn, and said...
"You realize, Im teaching our kids to be auburn fans. In fact, the first phrase they will learn is War Eagle!"
So, all you Auburn fans, dont hate me.
I cheated...
a little bit.
And came to my senses!!
I will forever be an Auburn Tiger, win or lose.


No comments: