Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine's Day sure is close and this will be the first one Ryan and I spend together. Normally, I've always hated the idea of day to highlight those that are swept away in love. Because what about all the rest of the people who aren't? Its a hard day for anyone single and the reality that loneliness sometimes accompanies this single-ness is always heightened on Valentine's Day. Every year it seemed like I would have another February 14 spent alone and I would always secretly hope that the next would be different. But the truth is, I can honestly say that I spent A LOT of time living where it was just me. I got to do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. I learned SOO much about myself and now that its not just me, I can truly appreciate February 14. Even though it really is a Hallmark holiday (basically a boost in the economy for post christmas spending ), it is a day for EVERYONE. Its a day to show everyone you love how much you care for them.

This year, I have NO clue what Ryan has planned for us and quite frankly I don't think he does either. But I do know what I'm getting him! Anyone seen the movie Fireproof? There is a book that accompanies the movie called, "The Love Dare." I've heard its amazing so I think I'm going to get him this. I was at his house the other day and noticed his Bible sitting on his bedside table. It makes me smile because the boy still has a Youth Study Bible. I'm thinking its time for an upgrade. So this year instead of candy, Ryan is getting a new Bible and a devotional.

Remember when I mentioned a few weeks ago that we are looking for a new church home? We started the search. Last Sunday, we went to a church that one of the guys Ry plays basketball with goes to. We went to the 9:30 service which was SUPER traditional (translation: old people everywhere). And while the music was not so much what I was looking for, the pastor was. His friend and his wife and their daughter took us to lunch and talked to us about the ministries the church has. Apparantly, the 11 am service is geared more towards the younger crowd, which is what I figured. But it felt good to be welcomed into the church with big open arms. We're gonna give the 11 am service a try this Sunday.

Well, I had intended to put a few more things in here, but the morning is slipping away from me and I've got another busy day at work today.

No comments: