Tuesday, August 4, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BEST SASSY IN THE WORLD!!!

Sarah and I in Aruba...wow I looked bad then!

The little one is growing up!! I actually can't believe she's only turning 20 because she seems much older to me. I am so thankful for such an awesome sister. She's my best friend in the whole world!

I remember when she was born. I was five and my mom told me that I had a little sister on the way. I, of course, didn't really get it. I just remember going and telling all my classmates that I'm getting a little sister. Well that HOT august day, mom started having contractions so they sent us to a neighbor's house where we waiting for my grandparents to get us. I was excited but still didnt really understand what was about to happen. My next memory is when my Dad came and got me and John and took us up to Baptist South. They made us scrub with that awesome soap for ten minutes and we had to wear aprons. They brought in the smallest looking indian baby I've ever seen. She had a head FULL of black hair and my mom said, "Rachel, meet your little sister." We have a picture from that day that we completed our family. Sarah won the brownie points a few Christmases ago when she had it enlarged in black and white and framed it for my mom's gift. Of course everyone cried because its such a sweet picture. I have it here hanging on my fridge next to a picture of the little deckster in what I call her Chappy stage. She looked like the cutest little chipmunk with her round cheeks when she was a little toddler!


But don't be fooled. Like many siblings, we haven't always gotten along. Actually, until I went off to college, I believe that we pretty much hated each other. I was an obnoxious "I'm too cool for you" highschooler and she was an obnoxious "I'm too cool for you" middle schooler. So that combo in itself was a recipe for disaster. But slowly, we realized how much we love each other and through the years became best friends! I can call her whenever I want. In fact, I talk to her every day on my lunch. The convo usually goes something like this.
R: Hi
S: Hi
R: What are you doing
S: Nothing, what are you doing?
R: on my lunch break
S: oh ree?
R: eee
S: Chickfila?
R: yep. Anything new?
S: no
R: ok well call me later
S: Ok bye

And as cold and impersonal as that sounds, its completely the opposite for us. We are always in touch with each other and so the daily catchup convo is always short and sweet.

Things I love about my sassy:
-our language that nobody understands
-playing air instruments in the car
-sloth moding
-she'll tell me when I look bad
-webchatting
-we're polar opposites (I'm chatty/she's shy, I'm OCD/she's super messy, I love decorating/she could care less, I love little dogs/she loves big dogs, I'm outspoken/she's not, I'm a terrible student/she's a natural,)
-going to six flags with her
-I can tell her ANYTHING including my most embarassing secrets
-she has her own sense of style which is really cute
-her gentle nature (**get over it deck, you know its true)
-she's VERY smart with dating thanks to me probably
-the list goes on and on

SO all that being said, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH!!! Just one more year and you're legal!!

No comments: