Tuesday, July 13, 2010

If these walls could talk...

One of my dear friends is an artist at heart. Literally. The girl went to college in Italy to become an art conservationist {is that the correct terminology??}. Best part is, she's by far the most down to earth person you'll ever meet. Not pretentious. Not the typical "I'm a artist so I'm intellectually on a different level than you." Just a simple, fun, crazy but sweet girl.

The other day, I asked her how much time she spends painting. And by that, I meant in a creative way, not in a "restore the Mona Lisa" kind of way. Apparantly, she has semi-abandoned her creative outlet because it became somewhat of a chore and less of a joy. However, she promised, she can re-create ANYTHING!

Well if you know me, you know exactly how the wheels in my head started turning. I am ALWAYS on the hunt for art. But let's be honest here...art doesn't come cheap. And right now, there is just no room in the budget for a $5000 painting. Believe me, if I could, I would. I'm a firm believer in buying investment items. The gifts that keep on giving, if you get my drift. But just like you won't see designer bags hanging in my closet {yet}, you won't see expensive art hanging on my walls.

So when she told me this, I just about flipped. Especially the part where she offered to recreate any painting of my choosing. Oh holy moly, where do I even begin?? Visions of abstract paintings literally started flying through my head. At this point I'm imagining a HUGE paiting to go over the wall behind my sofa. Probably one so big, I'll have to have the canvas custome made. And I'm seeing something very simplistic but one that will make a statement.


Literally something like this, just a different color pallette...


And then I got to thinking about the rest of the condo. Not one picture has been hung {sorry Hines, the banschee original will be the ABSOLUTE FIRST to be hung as soon as I buy some nails}. These walls are bare. Literally.

Through the years, I've collected framses and art of all sorts, but just like my decorating style, there is no uniform thread that runs through. Just a bunch of things that I like. Items that caught my eye at some point and were added to the collection. So with all these things, I now have the challenge of placing them somewhere.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of random photo collage wall, if you will. Actually, my grandmother had one in her living room, although it literally was that...random photo collage. No order or design to it. Just each time she was given a framed family picture of framed 2nd grade shot, it went up on the wall where there was room. It was chaotic and overwhelming, but it was hers. I'll always think of her when I see this design idea in magazines.

So, I want to start a wall. I'm not sure where yet, but I know its somethign I will love.

What are your thoughts?? I'ld love to hear from you!!

1 comment:

Sara Caldwell said...

Thank goodness your back in the saddle! Now find me white bathrooms with subway tile and marble! NOW, I SAID!!