Thursday, February 11, 2010

on the pole??...

So I started out this morning with every intention of making today a good one. I knew that I had approximately 12 hours of work ahead of me and my gut reaction is a big ughhhh!!

NOT TODAY.

I made up my mind that today was going to be a good day {despite the fact that I had to go to one of my LEAST favorite sponsors to kick them off for a campaign}.

So maybe I was 10 minutes late out the door and it took FOR-E-VER to pump gas into the EMPTY tank in the FREEZING cold weather. BUT I was still on time for my meeting. So what if the sponsor was in a terrible mood and my camera battery had died so I had to go back outside AGAIN to get my phone to take pictures. And yeh, it took me probably 10 minutes to figure out how since the phone is new and I don't even begin to understand the concept of a touch screen nor the droid lifestyle. But I made it happen.

Things were moving along just as planned. Stopped at Chick-fil-A for a BAT {LARGE sweet tea, its what our office refers to them as. You can figure out why on your own}, made stellar timing back to the office. Everything was going smoothly until I walked to my office.

PILES of unnecessary papers everywhere. Now, I'm a VERY organized person. I don't leave my office without it being in perfect condition in the rare chance that I don't return because of something tragic. If I get plowed on I10 this weekend, MDA is going to be just fine. They won't have a problem finding ANYTHING. I'm so organized its disgusting.

So I'm already starting to contemplate the anxiety meds at the point and off to the copy room I went to get the marathon going. I was 3/4 of the way there and one of my co-workers stopped me dead in my tracks. Here is the convo:
L: WHOA WHOA WHOA....Pull up your pant leg and let me see your shoes
R: I know. Aren't they fabulous!?!?!
{FYI I was wearing black pants, a black cardi and these...}


L: Ummm yeh, fabulous if you're a stripper!!
R: WHAT!?!? These are NOT stripper shoes
{another coworker come rushing in}
C: Wait let me see
{I'm hoping since she's into fashion and more in touch with the latest styles, she'll back me up}
C: Oh my gosh you're like a giant in these
R: Well you're 5'2, what do you expect??
C: Those are cute, where did you get those?
R: Dillards, they're Steve Madden
{in chimes another co-worker}
J: Girl you are a straight up stripper
R: {starts to get angry/upset and on the verge of tears} Whatever, I like these shoes.
{in runs ANOTHER co-worker...and I'm blood red at this point}
C2: EWWWWW let me see let me see!!
R: LOOK I AM NOT IN THE MOOD FOR THIS!! SERIOUSLY!!
{all co-workers laughing hysterically and obnoxiously...takes me back to Jr. High days}

I walked into my office and had to fight back the tears. I don't know why but it really upset me. Nobody likes to be made fun of. Its hurtful and just mean. And to make matters worse, this was coming from a 40 year old woman. I believe that once you get a diploma, you lose the right to be hateful like this. That's my personal opinion.

Here I am taking a leap out on being creative and I crash and burn major. I thought that it was applauded to be an individual. That's why I love the blog world, because it is not only accepted, but also encouraged.

I'ld bet all my money that all my blogger buddies would back me up with this. So here's to you guys!! I'll keep wearing my "stripper" shoes because I like them and they're fabulous!!

So I texted my friend Tiffany {who is hilarious, click on her blog below under "There's a Chance I might know these people"} a few minutes later to get her input. She's brutally honest, so I knew if I was way off, she'ld tell me they were right after all. She quickly told me not to worry, "those shoes are hot!!!" And then she reminded me to consider the source. I told her the rude comments were coming from someone who is a perfect candidate for What Not To Wear. She reassured me that I'm right on track and not to let someone who hasn't opened a magazine since 1997 give me fashion advice. Thanks T Clems!!

WHEEHHH I feel better.

4 comments:

The Howell's said...

Thanks for the comment on AM's pictures. No that isn't our house, I love the style too though, that's why we did the pictures there. It's the model home at Hampstead where I worked before I had AM. I don't know if you have even heard of Hampstead since you left Montgomery though! You'd love it, you need to go to dinner there or something next time you're home.

The Howell's said...

OK when I commented earlier I hadn't read your post, I was just responding your your comment. I think the outfit would have looked AWESOME on you! Don't think twice about what they said, they clearly have NO CLUE! Wear them again...SOON!

Amanda said...

Rachel, I just stumbled on your blog again and you are hilarious! Keep it coming. Those shoes rock. I used to work with older ladies (60's) and one in particular would comment on my clothes too. She would give me a weird look and say "what are you wearing!!!". It just became a joke among the younger girls. Just consider the source :) My source was rockin a cat sweater! Hopefully you can just brush it off. Love your blog!

Megan McKenzie said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the shoes !!!!!!!!!!