Sunday, January 16, 2011

Improvising Recipe...

This past week I had to improvise. My car didn't move for five days because of the snow/ice issue. Walking to a restaurant across the street took 20 minutes and was TERRIFYING because of the slippery ice especially on the hills. So I had to work with what I had in the pantry. And that wasn't much considering the fact that I haven't been to the grocery in over a month. So I had to get creative. Until I remembered a soup we used to always make in college. Here is a SUPER easy and delicious recipe for white chicken chili.

Mom taught me a little trick about stocking the pantry...always always always keep dried beans on hand. I thought she was kinda odd about this, but I get it now. Lucky for me, I had stocked up last month in anticipation of several soup suppers to follow. Added bonus, the dried beans are SOOO much healthier than canned. NO worries about the sodium with these guys! **Don't forget to soak these for a minimum of 8 hours, I recommend even longer! I believe I used half a bag of Great Northern beans. If you want to take the can route, two cans is plenty.

Beans

Add in a block of pepperjack cheese cut into cubes...
pepperjack

And depending on your tastes, add in these guys...
Soup ingredients

Add in some boiled chicken breast cut into small pieces and mix it all in the crock pot...
Soup Mix
Cook on low for a few hours and voila!! I also like to add crushed tortilla chips and sour cream on top.

If you hate it, my apologies.

And I've been to the grocery twice this weekend because I will NEVER go without fresh food again. EVER!! There is a HUGE bowl of fruit in my kitchen that I continue to devour. And an added bonus, its pretty.

1 comment:

Sara Caldwell said...

what a coinkidink, I am making white bean and spinach soup tonight. I bet cheese would be a lot better than spinach! Next time you are snowed in make sure you have yeast and flour and you can make a good french boule loaf or 2. I made 2 today, SO EASY!