Thursday, July 10, 2008

Lessons Learned.............So far

Im FINALLY recovering from my "workout trauma drama." After a few days of serious pain in every movement, I have gotten to where sitting down isn't excruciating. I was in a Fitness Center yesterday (my job takes me to all kinds of places), and was telling a trainer my story. He was horrified. The part that he was most upset about was the fact that the guy continued to make fun of me mid workout and still to this day. A good personal trainer will challenge you and push you to your limits, but do this by encouraging you and building you up. He was so upset about my bad experience that he offered a free session, but I'm a salesperson and I know what that is. Although he was being nice and doing something for free, he was using that as a way to show me how it can be a good experience and then I would use him to train me.

Although I've only been working for 2 months, I've learned an insane amount about so many things. Businesses, products, services, people, life, etc.,.... you name it and I've taken some serious lessons. It is simply amazing how much my brain is able to absorb. I was a TERRIBLE student (hence the 6yr college plan ), and by the time I approached the end of my last semester, I was convinced that my learning capacity was tapped out. I had NO idea how much I would be able to absorb with real life experiences.

So far, this summer has been very eye-opening for me. The reality of the "real world" is hard and it really hit hard entering it with such a bad economy. My job depends of local businesses and these are the ones who are hurting the most. Despite my eagerness and drive, achieving my goals has been extremely difficult. I used to not care about politics or the status of the economy. I used to not pay attention to the news and learn about how different businesses operate. I used to not care about investments and financial issues in general. BUT...now I do. I see how my generation has a dark future. What I used to think life will be like when I'm middle aged is completely different from how I envision it now.

Don't misunderstand. I am quickly picking up on the harsh realities of our nation now, but I also think this has given me such an advantage. To enter the working world when the economy is so weak and people are in panic mode over $4/gallon gas, I immediately saw the bad. I never was jaded by "good times" when gas was cheap and luxuries abounded. Where local companies loved to advertise because the money was there. NO NO NO. I entered when I hear, "I just can't afford it.", "I don't know how long I can continue to operate with these conditions. When I have to cut expenses down to bare necessities (i.e. live at home and save save save).

The good news is this. Im getting weathered REAL QUICK. My money will always be handled carefully because I started out with NOTHING. It can only get better from here.

Enough of that rant.

Im sitting in my room watching the most amazing rainstorm with the dogs curled up next to me. I can't imagine a more perfect summer night!!

No comments: