Thursday, April 1, 2010

If You know my Dad, you will like this one...

A few pretties for you...





I LOVE the idea of this grass in a tray. I am SOOO on the hunt for the pefect tray to do this and place this on my coffee table!!!

And for a little funny...

Last night, I was talking with my mom and we were actually having a rather deep conversation about not judging people by the cover. Then it segued into a story about how some delivery man called to let her know he was on the way with whatever it was my dad had ordered that week. Long story short, the Billy Bob showed up dressed as though his next stop was a Nascar race. But apparantly he was the nicest person C-rol has ever met. So lesson learned Mom!! I'll try to not judge as much :).

On to the funny part. If you know my dad, you'll know he's one of a kind. The man works his hiney off {its a genetic thing so I've been told}. Always has. He's by far the most intelligent person I've EVER met. And I look up to that man like nobody else. Whoever I marry has some REALLY big shoes to fill!!

Anyway, he works like crazy to be able to provide his family {now mostly him and my mom since we're all mostly grown} with the lifestyle he always dreamed of. And they're at that point where they've gotten most of the kids off the payroll...translation: more funds to spend frivilously. I can't blame him. We Machen kids put them through the ringer. They deserve every bit and more!!

Well, it has become somewhat of a family joke how much Dad loves to order things out of catalogs and websites. He LOVES it!! I know EXACTLY where I got my shopping problem...thank you Mr. B-ron!! Mom promises that the UPS man comes AT LEAST once a week if not more. In fact, the UPS man gets a Christmas gift from them.

So last night, after that deep life lesson, I asked Mom what in the world he bought this time {the last report was a case of 20 cans of evaporated milk imported from somewhere international because he had found a recipe for flan and it called for this specific brand that cannot be found in the US. Of course, he ordered 20 cans. Enough to make flan for all of Montgomery, naturally! Here's to hoping that this soothed his life long quest for the PERFECT flan. Next stop the PERFECT crabcake...at least that is what is on his list}. Back to the story. Mom wouldn't tell me what he had bought this time, but she gave me the hint that it arrived on an 18 wheeler. This meant one thing to me...it had to be something REALLY big like a car or something crazy like that. I was imagining that he had finally sprung for the vintage 50's taxi cab that he has always secretly dreamed of owning {gosh I love my dad!!}. Nope. No yellow car at Greystone.

A model similar to this is though...



Naturally, I asked my mother WHAT in the world do the two of them need a golf cart for? They live on a circle that can't be more than 1/2 mile around. Her answer and I am DEAD serious when I tell you this: "To take the grand dogs on rides." I SO should have pulled my annual April Fools joke a little early and told her I was Preggers. She would have been ecstactic because visions of rides with a grandchild would go dancing through her head. I decided against it.

Anyway, this is yet another one of Dad's "purchases." Apparantly it will travel between the lake house and home. I webchatted with Sassy last night to tell her and all she could do was roll her as and say, "GOOD GRIEF."

And if that wasn't enough entertainment from Mr. B-ron himself, mom told me ANOTHER funny story. Prepare yourself if you know him...its a good one!!

Apparantly, his barber shop he's been going to for ages closed. So mom made him an appointment at Doug's 2 with Doug himself. For those of you not familiar with Montgomery, this is a REALLY nice salon that you probably don't find too many men at. Now, Mom prepared him by telling him that Doug is exactly the way you would imagine a man to be who owns a salon/spa. The thought of my Dad having his hair cut by someone like this...just makes me laugh. He agreed and went on to have his hair cut. I was on the phone with Mom this afternoon when she said she came home to find this sitting on the kitchen counter...





To all my friends, please imagine my father not only having his hair cut at a frou frou salon but BUYING a product!! A pomade at that. We were laughing so hard and somewhere I squeezed in, "A product to use on WHAT hair??"

Dad, we love you more than you'll ever know. And we aren't joking on you. I just love your randomness that makes you... YOU!! Keep it up...you're one of a kind!!

No comments: