Thursday, November 19, 2009

"Light the Candle, Everything's Alright..."

Last night, as I was working on the computer, my power shut off. Luckily, I am a candle FREAK. I've got them scattered all over my place. So it only took me a few seconds to get light back in my PITCH BLACK house. After several minutes of no power, I realized I heard an extremely obnoxious beeping noise. So Madison and I set out to find the source. The emergency lights in the building were on and were making that horrible noise.

It made me laugh because ALL my neighbors did the same thing we did. I've lived here for right at a year and NEVER met any of my neighbors (with the exception of one who happened to go to Auburn in the 80's). We were all bundled up in our pajamas with our dogs and it was actually a good time. I guess it takes something so drastic to meet the people who live across the hall.

Anyway, after I decided to go inside, I tried to just ignore the beeping and go to bed. Unfortunately, Madison had a different plan. I think it must have really rattled her. Poor little girl just kept shaking unconsolably. So I tried to go with plan B and sleep in the guest room. She wasn't a fan of this either. And thankfully the power shut back on and the beeping stopped. So off to the main room we went and snuggled under the layers of bedding and I slept better than I have in months.

This got me to thinking though. Is this a preview to what life is like when you're a mom? There was NO sleeping with a shaking/crying dog sitting next to me. I can't even imagine it being a BABY! Yesterday at our "Thanksgiving" meal, my boss talked about she slept with her baby on her chest for 3 months when she was first born. I think the look on my face was sheer shock. REALLY?? I guess I must be much too selfish, because I value my sleep dearly. She said she thought the same thing before Avery was born, then went on about how the mommy cells kick in and just run their course.

Fortunately for me, those "mommy cells" are nowhere near to be found for this girl, for at least a while. Last night, a neighbor said, "where's the other dog?" I said, "oh he's in bed, he goes to sleep in his crate at 8pm every night." I got several looks. WHAT! I like a schedule and I like a few minutes where I don't have to wrangle the little hoodlum. Guess it doesn't work like that with kids, huh?

No comments: