Sunday, November 8, 2009


Since they canceled what was probably the BEST magazine for decorating (Cottage Living, only coming ahead of Dominoe by just a smidge), I've found myself searching for a substitue. Of course, this is really hard to find. There's the online magazine Lonny that definitely does NOT disappoint. And since I now have the internet back, I do suspect that I will be a frequent stalker.


What I'm getting to is that Southern Living has revamped itself, in response to this major void that MANY MANY people are outspoken about. It still has the same sections (food, travel, gardening, decorating, etc.), but it seems to be moving its focus to the crowd that was once loyal to Cottage Living, Dominoe, etc. That crowd is younger and ready to try new things. They still want the southern touch of comfort and sentimental value, but they're up for some modern twists.


That's probably how I would classify my decorating style. I like a mix of tradition and modern. I like furniture with clean lines, but it has to be lounge-worthy. I like keeping most of my big pieces neutral colors and adding in a punch of color with accessories. I like abstract art as well as the traditional framed oil paintings. Basically, when you come to my house you do NOT feel like you've walked into my parents' home. I love their home, but they are probably the most traditional people you will find. Everything is either French of colonial in there. Hey, to each his own. But like I said, you will find several surprises when you walk into my home.


SOOOOOOO....


when I saw this...


I just about jumped out of my chair with excitement. FINALLY, a picture that just really sums up my ideal bedroom. She mixes a traditional four poster bed with a modern geometrical fabric for her accent pictures. On a vintage desk, she has a modern lamp next to some old framed sketches as well as an incredible piece of art.
Thank you Southern Living for restoring my hope to find a magazine to fill my void. You're on the right track!!



No comments: