Monday, December 21, 2009

4 More...

Only 4 days till the Big Man comes to town.
I'm ready!!
Apparantly he's already bought all my gifts.
And didn't send me the memo that I should have done the same for everyone on my list.
LOTS of shopping to do this week.
Christmas really has a way of reminding me what is the TRULY most important in life.
For Example...

christmas_2009_099 My family {a few people missing who may or may not have been partying with friends}
My Grandmomma.
Who just happens to be the BEST in the world.
{STILL dying to have that book!!}


Get your stockings ready!!

Yesterday, as I was leaving my parents' neighborhood, I saw the sweetest thing. A man was dressed as Santa sitting in his car parked around the corner from one of our neighbor's house. They have a lot of grandkids and I saw the Grandmother walking towards Santa's car to greet him. I'm sure this was all pre-arranged. It was probably their family Christmas and she had hired him to come visit all the kids. I just couldn't help but smile.
Growing up, Christmas was always magical for me. I NEVER was able to sleep the night before. We always woke up our parents at 4 in the morning just dying to see what Santa had brought. Now, the magic has kinda disappeared, but I've learned how to enjoy Christmas as an adult. On the way home from my Grandmomma's house, my mom and I were talking about how Christmas is really hard for some people. It has a way of reminding you who you don't have in your life anymore. Whether its friends you never see, someone who has passed on, or relationships you no longer have. I'll be honest and tell you that I've really been dreading this season for several weeks for obvious reasons. A lot of "this time last year..." has gone running wild through my head. A lot of "we were supposed to..." has come my way as well. And quite frankly, I've really tried to stay extremely busy to silence these thoughts. But as always, things slow down around this time of year and I'm given WAY too much time to think. Lots of hours in the car just me and the dogs...time to do nothing but think. A few tears have been shed, but the majority of the time has been spent smiling. Because year after year, we take this same family picture. And although some people are in the picture one year and gone the next, the core of who I am is always there. I am beyond blessed to have such a loving family. And THAT is the greatest Christmas gift I could ever ask for!!




No comments: