Sunday, December 13, 2009

Santa's Workin Overtime This Year!!

It's pretty obvious that I'm beyond obsessed with pictures. I'm hopelessly addicted to blogs that share all these incredible pictures. For a few years, I've wanted a really nice camera. I later discovered that my dad has the EXACT one I want with several lenses. All these are burried deep in his closet to be used almost never. How terrible, I thought. So I tried to con him into giving it to me. Fail. In fact, he won't even let me use it with his supervision. So back to the drawing board.

Since I don't have several hundred dollars just laying around waiting to be used, I've just continued to be jealous of everyone else who had taken the plunge and bought the investment. I pretty much thought it hopeless until a few weeks ago when my co-worker was complaining about how annoying she thinks it is to lug around a big camera. Of course my ears perked up and I asked her what kind she has.
Excuse me Hines, but I'll be more than happy to take her off your hands. And I'm getting her for quite a steal. Last night my dad said to go ahead and tell Hines that he'll buy her camera for me. Now, what he doesn't realize is that he also revealed my other Christmas gift I asked for (and hope to receive). I asked for Photoshop for Christmas. Yeh, you read right. No clothes this year. I want a camera and computer software. Is that a sign that I've officially gotten old??

Anyway, I hope I haven't jinxed it because I learned my lesson many many years ago about snooping through Christmas gifts. Its a funny story actually. We had a babysitter when I was probably 6 who was the coolest cheerleader ever. I thought she hung the moon basically. One day my parents went somewhere and Suzanne came to stay with us. We all knew where mom stashed the Christmas gifts (in her closet and also in the utility room), so we decided it was a perfect idea to snoop.

I was beyond ecstatic when I found the Hello Kitty pencil box with all the different compartments. You all know what I'm talking about. It had buttons you would push and out would pop a pencil sharpener or eraser or whatever. Mom had always told me no when I asked for one in the store. And now looking back I realize how incredibly overpriced this was to give to a kid who lost or destroyed everything in her path. All my friends had one and I was pretty much the class loser for not having one. So when I saw my Spottie Dottie pencil box, I was overjoyed.

For weeks, I imagined how cool I finally would be when I brought mine to school. And when we ran downstairs Christmas morning that was the FIRST thing I looked for. I kept looking. And then I got really nervous and let it slip, "Where's my Spottie Dottie pencil box?!?!?" I probably was almost in tears. And it was at that point that my face turned ghost white and I realized I told on myself.

Mom later pulled me aside and gave me the lecture of a lifetime about being sneaky. Every year since then, my brother would open gifts and then re-wrap them, but I never did. I was terrified of losing gifts!!

All this to say, I really hope being a good girl and obeying the rules will pay off.

1 comment:

Sara Caldwell said...

we just bought a Canon Rebel SX1 and LOVE it!