Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I'm Starting To Like It Here...

We're packing up the cars and heading to the beach...

Ok. Not really for a vacation, but still. Tomorrow we have our last fundraiser for the year in Ft. Walton Beach. If you were a reader of this blog last year, you might remember that on my FIRST day of work with MDA we headed over to Destin for a fundraiser. I remember thinking, wow this isn't too shabby...first day at work spent on the beach. Little did I know, I'ld never touch the sand. BUT it isn't too terrible to spend the day with the water playing as a backdrop.

Its crazy to me that I've lived in Florida right at a year now. Yesterday was my official one year anniversary with my job and while some may think that its not that big of a deal, I do. This has to be the most challenging job I've ever had. Its a love/hate relationship on a daily basis. There are so many times that I just think, forget it...its time to whip out the resume. And then for some reason, I change my mind later in the day. I guess its because it is such a rewarding job. There are so many days that we start morning meetings off with "HOW ARE WE GOING TO RAISE THIS MUCH MONEY!!" conversations. It can be quite depressing to be completely honest. The pressure is always there and there's never a minute to just sit back and semi-relax. But that's the beauty of it. I blink my eyes and it is already 6pm. This happens on a daily basis.

All this to say, that now I'm actually starting to feel settled in here. It has taken me a year to really get that feeling and I don't think I'm completely there yet. Anytime you move to a town that isn't really geared towards young adults, it becomes quite the challenge to actually form a friend base. I've always been social, so this has always bugged me here.

But this morning, I couldn't help but notice that I'm content. I was taking the dogs outside at 6:45 this morning in shorts and a Tshirt. How many people can say they do that in December?? Its Florida. That's all I have to say. Don't get me wrong, we do have cold weather but it is sporadic. Just enough to wear my cold weather clothes and then once I'm tired of the cold, it turns 70 again. No complaints here!!

So for all of you in snow, I do envy you...some. But I'll take my palm trees with Christmas lights any day, thank you very much!!

No comments: