Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Dropcloth...

I've been on the hunt for the perfect window treatments for my living room. Here's a VERY old picture to give you somewhat of an idea of what I'm working with. I actually have champagn/brown raw silk drapes hanging behind the sofa as we speak.

My idea is to eventually put a sofa table behind the sofa and replace those HORRIBLE side tables with actual furniture, update the lamps and maybe replace the coffee table {megan, no I havent yet taken the plunge and made a big purchase. I just haven't been able to bring myself to doing that quite yet. But as soon as I do decide to give out the credit card number, the ballard table will be mine thanks to your suggestion}. Now, there is a black sisal rug with white flowers on it beneath the coffee table. And that chair is now in my bedroom.

So, I want more ooomph to my window treatments since they are the first thing you see when you walk in the door.

My original idea was to add two panels of burlap drapes to have a mix of texture, but then I came across the idea of this...

photo from The Lettered Cottage
and it completely fit into the plan.

Enter the super cheap yet super chic dropcloth drapes.

Yes, you read correctly.

Layla, over at The Lettered Cottage, is beyond my hero for her resourcefulness when renovating her charming house. She took painters' drop cloths and turned them into drapes. They're the perfect texture and thickness that I'm looking for and at $10/drape...I'm loving it!!!

So, this weekend, I'm off to Lowes. I'll do some secret shopping for work and get my drop cloths at the same time!! Pictures are soon to come. This no-sew, quick and easy project is sure to please!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! I love the texture!